Hey everyone! I’m back from my winter hiatus with the first current events round-up of the year! Unfortunately, since I am just back from hiatus, I didn’t put together a lesson plan for this current events list. However, I figured most instructors might still be on break, especially if you teach at a university like I do (our semester doesn’t start until next week).
For this week’s round-up, I picked a pop culture news item from this weekend: the Golden Globes. As usual, these articles range in ability from low-intermediate to academic. I haven’t included any video links, but it might be fun to show some of the movie trailers to students and have them do short discussions on their opinions of the movies, whether they’ve seen them or not, and what they think the movie is about.
- The Hidden Truth Behind “Hidden Fences”
- Golden Globe Broadcast Starts Strong but Fades in Choppy Second Half
- ‘La La Land’ wins 7 Golden Globes – This article is very long, but is broken up into easily readable pieces and covers basically every notable event from the Golden Globes
- Golden Globes Speeches
- Meryl Streep Called Out Donald Trump at the Golden Globes – Again, this is a very long article, but good if your class is discussing current politics
- The Golden Globes Showed the Gap Between TV and Film is as Wide as Ever
- TV Diversity Wins Big at the Golden Globes